18 May 2008

There's Always Next Time, Indonesia

After posting about Indonesia's "delayed success" in 2008 Thomas Cup, I planned to post about the other half of the tournament, Uber Cup; but I was so overwhelmed by Narnia that I decided to share that magical experience first. That way, I can write about Uber after I've watched the final Uber round between Indonesia and China...in which we lost, again. Can we blame it on SBY who decided to come and watch the match, giving a presidential "kiss of death"? Once again, I don't want to pretend to be an expert in the matter so no comment on the badminton team's performance. Let's talk about something else.

I want this post to be more sympathetic. Therefore, instead of saying "good bye to Thomas-Uber dreams", I'll say "there's always next time, Indonesia". OK, I know that winning the event would be a wonderful gift to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Indonesia's National Awakening. Imagine a huge wave of elation sweeping through the nation from end to end, that would've been nice.

However, don't let the losses dampen our spirit even just one bit. Indonesia was a formidable badminton powerhouse in the past, and there's a huge chance that we can bring that title back anytime soon. The loss is huge, but Indonesia's spirit has to be even more majestic. The teams could reach the semifinal and final (guys and girls' teams respectively), and no one can stop them the next time they're around. That is, if they can move on and reach for their dreams again.

No comments: