28 May 2008

Sleep? What Sleep?

Few weeks ago, I was at the beginning of a long holiday and currently I am still in that holiday. My first thought was this would be the perfect opportunity to compensate the loss of my precious sleeping hours during the exhausting exams. There should be no sleep deprivation anymore. I could go to sleep early and wake up as late as I want to. Me and my big mouth...no, that's not right. "Me and my typing fingers" is more suitable.

In a rare moment of introspection, I just realized that I am nowhere near reaching my beauty sleep goals. The increase of my wonderful zzz time, if any, is very minimal. Instead of hitting the bed earlier, let's say at 10 o'clock I stayed up really really late past midnight. Consequently, I haven't got that "I've got enough sleep" feeling. I always woke up at some minutes past 6 AM, if "some" means "in the neighborhood of 90 minutes". According to a standard Indonesian schedule, that time (as in 7:40ish) is unforgivably late. Apparently, this guy's not in the standard schedule.

Blame technology for that. There are so many things I can do, and a reason to do it always magically pops out to me. "Maybe I need to check my facebook", "Gotta check those e-mails", "Let's see what happened", and the ever-geeky "Let's check Wikipedia for no real purpose" are frequent reasons to why I eventually miss the "sleeping target"...and this blog is one reason too. On many occasions, I've written for this blog when the day almost ends in an hour or two. And have I mentioned instant messaging? That stuff is like a blackhole, sucking me into hours of often pointless talks which I do enjoy very much. I even dubbed it "midnight messaging club" -which sounds cool, actually. OK then, it's my fault. And I just bought season 2 of Grey's Anatomy. Just perfect! Now I can stay up much later, I have to thank myself.

Nevertheless, I do regret not reclaiming my beauty sleep. I don't really feel any effect when I'm occupied by things like watching tv, reading, etc; but if those activities stop, such as the time when nothing on tv is good, I feel drowsy like "boring-class" drowsy. It doesn't make me want to sleep straight away, it just messes my brain until I have something interesting to do. Sometimes I feel bad about it too. I believe that my body deserves a break after all these exam panics and here I am, denying it of its hard-earned rest.

I made myself a resolution as I'm writing this blog. No more midnight postings. Maybe I can do some writing, but then I'll leave the tweaking and publishing for the next day because getting the posts to look right takes a surprisingly long time. No more starting a DVD after 10PM. Those stuffs lasts for hours and I wouldn't know it. I could watch extreme operations on Grey's and suddenly a couple hours have passed. No more Wikiwandering unless the stuff is of great importance or if I couldn't sleep from extreme curiosity (Now you can call me a nerd). The main thing is to not procrastinate things and finish up as early as I can.

Maybe the guy who said "carpe diem" was right. In my newly discovered view of the phrase, we need to seize the day -that's what carpe diem means, if you're wondering- to get a good night's sleep. Get the most of the day and relax through the night, as simple as that. Doing some exciting stuffs during the day will send anyone to a nice slumber with good thoughts at night. Anyway, I'm so done with carpe diem and now I really need to carpe "lots-of-sleep".

No comments: