25 May 2008

Glorious Movies Time!

Woohoo, I watched Speed Racer yesterday. The Wachowski brothers surely made the classic cartoon into an excellent work of art and colours. Despite critics who despised the movie for not having a strong story and being too flashy, I'll say that I loved it. Call me a child, but the striking colours really entertained me to a point where I think that the real world looks dull.

This latest incarnation of Speed Racer is a departure from its original anime to a good direction. When you watch the movie, you're transported into another world: futuristic and colourful. I just can't stress that word enough: colours everywhere! In the 2h15m movie, our aptly-named hero Speed Racer, with racing running in his veins, has to save the world by doing what he does best: racing (well, duh!). Race for this, race for that, and voila, you got yourself a happy ending. The movie could get really bizzarre with a capital "bizzarre" but it doesn't really hurt anyone. The action parts of it is nothing to be complained either. I was also in awe over the exotic race tracks featured in the movie. OK, the tracks are ridiculously exaggerated, but that's not a reason to let the beautiful computer-generated scenery pass unnoticed.

Overall, the movie is very enjoyable. The "Go Speed Racer Go" song (or whatever the title may be) is also revamped but still includes parts of the original song.

After that, I watched the latest Indiana Jones movie, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Set in 1957, our beloved archeologist was pulled into an adventure in South America by a communist Soviet agent named Irina Spalko. Apparently, the adventure became a family affair as he is joined by a younger "comrade" and a "woman" -see, I don't wanna ruin your pleasure.

The movie is fun and exciting, taking us into the Joneses' (get the spoiler hint?) adventure in the jungles and pyramids. Rest assured that you'll see lots of action, and big ants. The movie also serves a healthy portion of humor, apart from the Soviets' funny accent. I've never watched the previous movies, so I can't compare it to its predecessors. What I'm sure is that the movie is an incredible way to spend your time.

Today, I also got my hands on The Kite Runner DVD. It is an adaptation of Khaled Hosseini's book of the same name, and a good one it is. The movie stayed true to the book, so it helped me visualize the images of the fantastic book, especially the kite fights in pre-Taliban Kabul. Another great movie.

My verdict: Yes and Yes, all thumbs up. All of them are excellent movies with their unique strengths, it's too bad if you miss them.

No comments: