12 May 2008

Not-So-Random Finds

As much as I want to study something, I couldn't bring myself to suffer through another long hours of real studying. I had only gathered all the papers and books (it's History tomorrow) and already felt mentally exhausted, which others call "laziness". The temptation of doing something else is so strong so I end up browsing the Internet and posting this, while I don't really have anything to write. I guess I'll just post what I found in the last few days. Note: be prepared for jumping topics.

Wiktionary & Wikisource (Click here & here for Bahasa Indonesia). Sometimes thought only as an extension to all-helpful Wikipedia, these guys do have serious stuffs. Wiktionary is a helpful dictionary and thesaurus; I used it quite frequently these days, to be sure that I'm not making a complete illiterate fool of myself while writing my blog. Wiktionary also includes colloquial meanings, so it doesn't end up being too rigid. The latter, Wikisource, is a relatively complete archive of texts from ancient times to the present. This is a library for published texts, speeches, constitutional texts, and so on. Not as fun as Wiktionary, but it can be very helpful at times.

After the ridiculous Roncar ad got uploaded to YouTube, I found the annoyingly interesting M-Susu ad there. For the sake of decency and sanity, I'm not posting the link. The manboobs are simply disgusting, and I haven't even mentioned the way it 'vibrates'. Have we really sunk to a deep new low?

Fortunately, I found something with more sensible on Media Indonesia newspaper...without any manboobs. The paper ran two articles, adding up to a full page, that blasted the stupidity of the last National Exam. In my perspective, the Exam is a crime against students and teachers as it put them in a difficult situations and also deprives them of their rights. Just hope that after the election we'll have an Education Minister with more common sense and better vision. Not that it'll matter to me anymore, but still, let's not get stuck with such pointless projects.

I also found out that the Indonesian team almost had to say goodbye Thomas Cup dreams. The team barely defeated Thailand 3-2, with Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Taufik Hidayat down. Fortunately, our hopes aren't defeated yet: the team scored perfect 5-0 against Germany. Despite not being so enthusiastic about the event, I do hope that Indonesia will be the proud winner of Thomas Cup again.

Right now, I'm reading a wonderful book by Khaled Hosseini (of The Kite Runner fame) titled A Thousand Splendid Suns. It's wonderful book with a touching, emotional story of two Afghan women who had to survive through so many hardships in their life. If it's not for the exams, I won't put this book down; looking forward to finish it soon. Expect a review in a few days, maybe after May 15's Bloggers Unite for Human Rights post.

No comments: