27 June 2008

Get Smart and More

Very late last night, I just watched Get Smart, a film adaptation of a 1960s spy comedy of the same name which, in my family, only my parents have watched. It stars Steve Carell as Maxwell Smart, a motivated yet hapless analyst-turned-agent in CONTROL, a US spy agency, and Anne Hathaway as CONTROL's uber-girl Agent 99. They must come together to save their beloved homeland from a nuclear assault by a Russian lunatic KAOS.

Carell is already synonymous with the word comedy; and what you expect is what you get. Plenty of hilarious moments, and the cinema was filled with thunderous laughs throughout the movie. Agent Smart is like Johnny English with relatively more brain. He's not stupid per se, it's just that what he has doesn't really make him the best field agent. Agent 99 is the stereotypical sexy, sophisticated female partner of the poor spy. The story itself is not so original, template-ish even. Some crazy Russian people stealing uranium, threatening the home of the brave with a nuclear bomb, and despite everything, our clumsy hero saves the day.

However, if you are living a miserable life and you badly need to laugh, or simply want a good entertainment, you won't be disappointed with Get Smart. Just don't look for "beautiful" or "touching" or "extraordinary". By the way, you get to listen to Madonna's latest hit 4 Minutes in the movie and during the end credits. Why do I even write these things...

Back to real life, I'll be in Balikpapan from Saturday, June 28 to Monday, June 30. It's going to be a big family trip with 17 family members. The whole scheme was planned by my grandparents, and it includes a visit to an orang utan sanctuary. Mmm, something new and unique. I hope it'll turn out as a nice experience. Anyway, don't expect any post till Monday afternoon. Miss me so very much until then.

Speaking about the calendar, I just figured out that I will have to start waking up so early in the morning again soon. The matriculation program in UI (actually, it's a penyelarasan program) will begin on July 7 and end on August 2. If I'm not mistaken, each day will start at 8 AM in the uni's Depok campus. Because it is extremely near, sarcastically speaking, I'll have to wake up with the rooster. I should cherish the remaining sleepless nights of unemployment.

No comments: