11 June 2008

Discombobulating Dictions

I really don't know how, but recently I've been stumbling upon rather unique, if not strange, additions to my vocabulary. I'm quite sure that I won't get them by watching TV or movies, or even nerdy blogs. So, I'll post it here as my humble contribution to the blogosphere. (It makes this blog even more nerdy, doesn't it? Well, whatever.)

1. DISCOMBOBULATE, v
OK, to pronounce the word is discombobulating enough, and we've only scratched the surface of the list. There's no point in making you discombobulated at the start line, right? Wiktionary provides its definition as "to throw into a state of confusion, yada yada yada" but basically it means "to confuse". Quite suitable for the word, really.

2. SOMNAMBULATE, v
A somnambulist, that is one who somnambulates, can pose serious harm to him/herself and to others -but we're not talking about George W Bush or FPI. In addition, there are cases in which murder is committed in somnambulation, and it can be used to defend the murderer. Before you get your mind wandering to ridiculous tortures and stuffs, I'll just state its definition: when someone somnambulates, you'll say that he/she is "sleepwalking".

3. OSCULATE, v
This is normally done by couples (both hetero- and homosexual) and also by overeager tweens who watch a dangerous amount of Indonesian soapies. Furthermore, one's first osculation will always leave a mark in memory. Despite what your dirty mind might be thinking right now, its meaning is quite innocent: "to kiss", that's it. Anyhow, I don't think people will use this word a lot since it sounds pretty creepy. "You may osculate the bride" will certainly send a shock to a wedding party. Besides, "XOXO, Gossip Girl" really loses its mystique when XOXO reads "hugs and osculations".

4. CEREBRATION, n
I'm not gonna freak you out with this one, mostly because I have no idea on how to do it. Anyway, this is a big word that describes an extremely common activity and can be replaced by a simple word. I'll give you a hint: it is related to the words cerebrum and cerebral. You might want to cerebrate about it. Sadly, this is a blog, not a freaking quiz so I'll just give you the answer: cerebration is what we call the act of "thinking".

I think I still have some more, let's get to it someday. Now, since we're talking about ridiculous words, I found a YouTube video that suits the theme of this post. It was taken from the latest Scripps National Spelling Bee and it is totally hilarious. Gotta watch this.


Hahaha, "numb nut", that's wacky. He also seemed so relieved when he finally gets the word. In the very end, he came out as the winner after spelling "guerdon". Kinda anticlimactic, isn't it?

1 comment:

A m a n d a said...

tu anak yang menang spelling bee mukanya mirip Aditya Sasongko kalo gendut dan item deh