30 July 2008

Quick Bandung Jaunt

Hooraay, today is a holiday! I looked perhaps too forward to this well-deserved free day that I only realized what this holiday is for just now. Honestly, I couldn't care less about it. I just knew that in the matriculation calendar, this day is marked in red- as if holidays were hell. Anyway, today turned out to be the Islamic holiday Isra Mi'raj, celebrating the Prophet's lightspeed trip to the Heavens to sort some stuffs out with God.

Without any intention to imitate him, I also had a quick jaunt upwards today with my family. Plus my grandpa. We abducted him under my grandma's order to get him out of the house. No, don't get me wrong; she's in Balikpapan right now and she wanted my grandpa to get a nice trip somewhere other than his dream land. The destination couldn't be more obvious, as it has become some kinda backyard playground for many Jakartans. If you haven't got the slightest clue, turn off your computer and get a life. Really. Back to the topic, the answer is Bandung. Yes, that Bandung with all its eagerness to rival the chaos of Jakarta.

But, the best thing about my family trips to Bandung is that we don't really go to Bandung. We proudly bypassed all the mess in the city, and went straight to the mountains in the, err....., south? We don't even want to dip our toes in Bandung's traffic jam. I got somewhat traumatized after one afternoon when I was trapped in the street with actually-unnecessary giant superhero figures. Again, pardon my Jakarta-centricity: I've never really paid any attention to other city's street names, save some important ones. Was that Cihampelas? That's the only thing I could come up with.

We started the trip around 6 A.M. Rather unnatural to rise up so early on a holiday, but we're going to (the south of) Bandung. We did that to outrace the holiday traffic jam attack. That's a good enough reason to cut my beauty sleep -and believe me, there's another story about the reason. The journey was smooth and just-like-that. Then again, what can you expect in the highway?

First thing, we chose Situ Patenggang over Kawah Putih since the latter has become too Indonesian-ly touristy (I'm not sure if those are real words) for our taste, compared to what we experienced a couple of years before. Back then, Kawah Putih was virtually unknown. My family was the only visitor, apart from a Chinese shop-calendar photography team. We had the chance to really take it all in. Today, it's sadly not too different from Tangkuban Perahu the Invaded. So, to Situ Patenggang we went.

Fortunately, it's not too commercialized yet. Frankly, I doubt that it will reach the same level as Kawah Putih or Tangkuban Perahu. I didn't see any uniqueness to the lake. It's a gorgeous place, true; but not something I could, let alone would, brag about to others. Not knowing what to do, we agreed to some guy's advice to ride a boat around the lake. In the middle of the voyage, the boat's operator took us for a stop at a spot called Batu Cinta - Love Stone, but not Lovestoned. Unsurprisingly, we didn't have, or get, any clue how the place got its name. Heck, we didn't even know which stone is the mythical Batu Cinta.

When lunchtime came, the real reason for this so-called quick jaunt was officially revealed. Well, it was never a secret, just a familial understanding. Going to the Situ was too noble a reason to spend hours and hours on the road. We actually wanted to have lunch at a great place named <fill name here>. It's not my fault that I don't know its name, because they put up so many Sundanese words there and I don't have any idea which one says the name of the place. What I know is that they serve one of the best nasi liwet I've ever had.

When lunch was over, we still held firmly to our belief that we don't need to go to Bandung proper to have some one-day fun. And we went home with a relaxed body, peaceful mind, and a full stomach. Oh God, this post is long! I guess I have a reason to not post think deeper about my next post.

No comments: