20 July 2008

Random TV-themed Post

Apparently, some children's welfare advocacy group made today "TV-Free Day". It is certainly a bold idea, and I simply have to praise them for such courage. I am here to announce that I am totally observing TV-Free Day - if you substitute totally with so not. TV-Free Day is so wrong on so many levels. I do get the point that we need more quality programs for appropriate age groups. We are fed up with annoying sinetrons and reality shows which are so not real. Yet, I don't think that the right amount of watching great TV shows is a delinquency. Anyway, as a sign of goodwill, I am writing this post while not watching the television like I usually do.

Well, we just can't get ourselves off the idiot box, can we? It has somehow become an integral part of our lives like junk food and lame jokes. We remember so many things from TV, which shouldn't be much of a surprise. Just compare the number of people who remember how Peter Petrelli first took flight and the people who knew the number of provinces in the country. Or compare the number of those who can name all six casts of Friends and those who can name all of the country's vice presidents. (Honestly, I can't.) Especially for our generation -not you, grandma- we have grown up with television.

I can go on and on about our love affair with television, but let's not. Instead, I have some random news that I found while aimlessly wandering the internet recently. First, there is a widespread news about Grey's Anatomy that in the coming season, there will be some kind of lesbian relationship developing seriously between dr. Callie Torres and dr. Erica "the-new-Burke" Hahn. The creators of the show consulted with GLAAD and found out a way to put down the story in a surprising, unoffensive way. Now, that's something to be curious about. By the way, Desperate Housewives fans should get desperate: the creator said that the series will end in the seventh season.

Next, which might be a little late, our favorite student body is going big screen. Uh-huh. High School Musical 3: Senior Year (HSM3) is scheduled for a theatrical release, following the footsteps of The Lizzie McGuire Movie. Wikipedia lists the date as October 24, 2008, but that is probably the US release date. Let's pray that it will be released in Indonesian cinemas too. I am not ashamed to say that I really look forward to watching the movie. I've seen the trailers quite a few time on E! and Youtube. I do hope that it is far better than the latest DC Original Movie fiasco starring The Jonas Brothers, Camp Rock. OK, I am being unfair, because I haven't watched it. But even JB-obsessed Michael Buckley from What The Buck Show gave it a noisy thumb down, so it must be that bad.

Anyway, that's the end of today's second post. Happy TV-Free Day. You ask, "Really?"; I say, "You wish".

No comments: