11 August 2008

Go Team Indonesia!

The Opening Ceremony of the 2008 Beijing Olympics was one heluva party with tons of fireworks and thousands of contemporary performers who left me clueless. I was in total awe...due to the fact that I couldn't watch it. I had hundreds of channels on my TV, yet none of them aired the glorious ceremony. Well, TVRI aired the whole thing -minus a lot for suckish ads. It is the sole local broadcaster of the Games in Indonesia because no other channel wanted to spend so much money on something that virtually no Indonesian care to watch. The state channel chose to air the Games due to its role in "serving the nation", and sources say that they get the airing rights for free. So surprising, not!

However, the lovely FirstMedia, my cable provider, swapped TVRI for some random European sport programs since it doesn't have the broadcasting rights; therefore, no Olympics whatsoever in my idiot box. Blurgh. Maybe some foreign sports channels are airing it, I should check them out. Right?

Oh wait, not necessarily. Or to quote Friends' Phoebe: "I wish I could, but I really don't want to".

Anyway, I am blindly proudly rooting for Team Indonesia, despite not knowing who's in it. Taufik Hidayat should be there, shouldn't he? I mean, he's like the only one we can really hope to grab a medal. According to a paper, lifter Lisa Rumbewas is there, although she failed to get a medal. Let's see, who's there too...No idea. But it doesn't mean that I'm apathetic. I always wish the whole team good luck. Heck, they're in the land of feng shui, auspicious days, and undying superstitions; they'd better be lucky.

Indonesia Indonesia Indonesia, Oi Oi Oi! Errr....that's not right. Which could only mean that I have a question to ask to my compatriots: how does the crowd cheer for Team Indonesia? Honestly, I'm not the sporting-crowd type of guy, so I don't have the slightest clue about this stuff. And please, none of those lame chants with changeable lyrics for whatever the crowd's supporting. Otherwise, the "tacky patrol" will arrest you.

No comments: