15 March 2008

Adit on 150308

Hey everyone! I just realized that I haven't appropriately welcomed you to my new blog. It's been going for a month (maybe, I don't really remember) and at the very start, I already blurted out everything without even saying "Hi!". Just see the bright side, you'll be welcomed to an already-functioning blog.

Now, let's get to the (first of many) topic. I just found something very precious in YouTube!




Everyone, please welcome our sensational newcomer Cinta Laura Kiehl. Armed with a unique Bahasa Indonesia-"English" accent, she conquered Indonesian TV and got herself devoted fans who scrutinizes her every talk.

OK, time for the truth. She's been the butt, an ugly butt of many jokes for quite a while now. I saw her first in SCTV's sinetron titled Cinderella. At that time, I only noticed that her acting, like almost every actor in the series, is somewhat disturbing. Her intonation is all too strange for me and everyone else. Not so long after that, the revelation came. Her awkward accent has already earned her much ridicule. I recently got a collection of her quotable talks, part of which I'll post here.

I was attacked by a fit of cough from laughing too much when we were discussing about her in school. There, the most famous quotes are the lines "bechek" and "what is kendala?". I didn't mean to patronize her or anything, it's just that she seems to be very comfortable in this situation, despite her saying the contrary. If I were her, I'd retreat from public life a little and improve my colloquial Indonesian, which is very different from the official, written form. It would take just a little time (please, it's Bahasa Indonesia!) and it would save her from this unnecessary mental pressure.

In the end, let her live her life; and let us find joy in it.




Another topic, I almost finished reading Kiran Desai's Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard, I'll definitely finish it these days. I already read her terrific second novel, The Inheritance of Loss, which won here the Man Booker Prize. The story in Hullabaloo is very intriguing. It tells about a postal worker,born to a very rigid man and a rebellious, strange mother, who tried to run from the confines of modernity (read:small town named Shahkot) and retreated to a guava tree in an abandoned orchard. In the orchard, he found the silence he longed for; he got rid of the city walls from his mind. But as the story unfolds, peace itself has to wage a war, otherwise it will vanish.

To stock up before finishing it, I've prepared a new read. It's a collection of fairy tales wrote by the famous Oscar Wilde. I bought it after a long period of consideration beneath the surface of the earth; the store's in the basement of PIM2. I'd like to switch between classical and contemporary novels frequently so as to familiarize myself with many writing styles.

As this is the middle of the night, some parts of the planned post had already slept. So I'll have to end this post right now. Meet ya in the next post!


No comments: