26 April 2009

Oh My Idol!

Guess what? I was brewing some idea for another post when I suddenly remembered that I haven’t got my vital dose of What The Buck Show lately. No wonder life has been somewhat dull these days. So to the sacred YouTube I went, and What The Buck Show I watched. Of course, the recent Miss USA “opposite marriage” fiasco is up already, with the strong taste of a Michael Buckley production. However, it also reminded me that I’ve been silent on a topic that affects most of the cable-TV-connected world: American Idol!

In case you’ve been too busy picking your nose these months, American Idol is now in its eighth season. Kara DioGuardi joins the panel of judges. There were less wackiness during audition, and even more talent this year. The wild card round was back. The Top 12 surprisingly became the Top 13. A new feature, the “Save”, is introduced –and has been used- to rescue would-be Chris Daughtry or Jennifer Hudson from artistic freedom and independence.

The content of the Top 13 and its order of elimination has been more agreeable to me, compared to previous seasons. The first five people to get the boot, so insignificant that I’m not gonna list them, deserved it. Especially Alexis Grace. I didn’t know she existed until she was voted off. And then I heard something about Megan Joy, who was apparently another contestant on the show. She got kicked off too.

The sixth person we said bye to (the eighth place) had been very sensational from his first audition. Scott McIntyre is visually impaired; people simplify it to “blind”, although holy Wikipedia said he has tunnel vision. OK, he’s blind. His early performances were fantastic, but I felt that he lost his touch in recent shows, including his shout-y last song. Thus, I was more than happy when Seacrest told him good bye.

Next show, Matt Giraud got the lowest number of vote, despite giving one of his more memorable great performances. Lo and behold, he was saved by the judges. And I yay-ed, although not so much. But that save should be used at one point, so I don’t have any issue with it. As a result, the following week (this week) two contestants will be eliminated.

Fortunately, Giraud escaped the bottom three this week. Imagine the shame if he did. Instead, there were Lil Rounds, “Slumdog” Anoop Desai, and Alison Iraheta in the dreaded place. Both Lil Rounds and Anoop got chopped off the show; that I can understand. Yet, it’s too bad that Alison was there too.

Now, there are only 5 people left: Kris Allen, Adam Lambert, Danny Gokey, Matt Giraud, and Alison Iraheta. They are all fantabulous and I can’t really decide who to root for. Nevertheless, I predict that we’re going to have an all-male Top 4. From there, I don’t really care who goes to the final and win. I will still watch American Idol religiously anyway.

No comments: