01 September 2008

Happy Ramadan for Everyone

It's here and it's staying for the whole month, and it's not your in-laws. Although I might seem a wee bit unwelcoming to Ramadan in the previous post, I do look forward to the festive month. This is the moment when it's OK to be so freaking pious without any "tobat loe?" ("look who's repenting?") comment and this is also the moment when you can go out till waay late at night without being interrogated...err, I should stop before I ruin the Ramadan magic.

Today, we performed the first day of self-control. Many of us (read: I) are still in mental confusion due to the fact that this year's Ramadan came right after the start of university activities. It simply began before I had known it would come soon. Frankly, I had so many thoughts like "where to go for lunch?" or "a cold drink will be totally nice" earlier, especially because now I don't live in an exclusively muslim community. It felt quite comfortable actually; there's no more ridiculous Ramadan myths from sources as reliable as Paris Hilton and it's not like the nonmuslims show off what they're eating for lunch. I just need to constantly remind myself that I'm fasting, that's all.

Undeniably, this is only the start of Ramadan. There are millions of opportunities to grab in this holy month to get to know God better and essentially be a better person to everyone, including yourself. That's what Islam rahmatan lil 'alamin means, right? Ramadan is no Ramadan unless it motivates you to do good each and everyday in all facet of life. We don't need bearded religiofakers who can only spread hatred among the people in the name of religion; we need people with a functioning conscience who can make their lives be of benefit to mankind.

To start things off, I humbly apologize for any mistake I might have done, any words that might've hurt (sorry to Malaysians), and also any typo since I'm doing my blog with my eyes half-shut after 10 PM. Happy Ramadan for Everyone!

Now you can go back to watching your favorite gossip shows, Ramadan style!

No comments: